Monday, June 19, 2006

Baala Maami - our Guru!!!

Radhe Krishna! is how Baala Maami greets one and all and beams out a blissful smile that drenches you in affection. She is the Guru for my granny. Baala maami heads the Sri Jayadeva Gita Govinda Bhajana Mandali in Malleshwaram that's running from 1950!!! Yes, 1950 it is!!! My granny used to diligently be a part of the Saptaaham (7 days) so much so that over 40 years of participation went past her!!! It was a major festival for all the people in the mandali. Granny used to take her daughters here and natually, my Mother also was a part of it. Granny used to take us also along with her many a times and my Sister became a darling of the masses for her enthusiasm with which she participated. Over a period of time, our participation took a major hit with Granny's age and her enthusiasm did not suffuse our beings. So, from a few years now, we have just been visiting Baala Maami to invite her to marriages or some occasions. Just an year before Granny passed away, she wanted to meet Baala Maami, so, Mom and me took her to Malleshwaram and what a meeting it was between them!!! They recounted many years of joy immersed in devotion to their dear lord Krishna.

Yesterday, we went to meet Baala Maami to invite her for my sister's marriage. Baala Maami instantly recognized my Mother, and then me!!! I am one of the fortunate few who has gotten her affection :-) Akila and Girija Aththai were new to Baala Maami though Aththai has participated in the bhajans a few times. Baala Maami was so excited that she made us sit there and recounted some of the days with Granny!!! She also complained that we no more participate in the bhajans, but, we promised we will be regulars from now on. She asked us to sing bhajans and said "Kannan innikki ungalukkaaga maalaioda kaaththirukkaan. Avan azhaippu illaammal yaarum vara mudiyaadhu". Translates to - Lord Krishna has been awaiting your arrival here with the garlands around him. Without his call, no one can come!!! So Girija Aththai, who has a gifted voice started off with a Sri Purandhara daasa kriti on lord Krishna. Then, Maami asked me to sing and I started with Govinda Ninna Naamave Chandha again by Sri Purandharadaasa (I did not do well with the Taala :-( ). We all sang Alai Paayudhe and then I sang 2 more bhajans that I learnt recently Muralidhara Murahara Natavara where I stopped after 2 lines and Maami started the lines I forgot and beamed up her usual smile and I started after her!!! And then I sang Hey Murali Sridhara Radhe Krishna Radhe Shyam. Maami was very happy to see us all and so were we!!! She blessed us all, gave us prasadam and what else do we need. As we were taking leave of her, Maami shouted out Mom's name and said "I am very happy to see you all" and we reciprocated the same!!! She said Radhe Krishna and we took leave. Akila was very happy to have met Baala Maami. Maami also said that I have a good voice and good devotion which is due to poorva sukrutha (good deeds done in the past!!!).

If you meet Baala Maami you will see Indru Maami too, who has been serving her Guru from a very long time. She takes care of a lot of things there. Indru Maami also knows my Granny and Mom. Indru Maami served Milk to us all after which Baala Maami asked us to stay back and have dinner!!! Imagine having dinner with our Guru!!!

Oh! I almost forgot, I was so excited there that I wanted to show Sri Ramana's picture to Maami and she became excited to see it too!!! Maami said that the visitors just before us were Ramana devotees!!! Indru Maami was also excited to see Sri Ramana's picture. Akila had another photo of Sri Ramana that she gave to Maami who put it on a shelf where everyone can see him!!! Need we ask for more bliss?

My Granny used to make us all sit together in Chikkamagalur and make us learn Hanuman Chalisa. Her devotion has passed on to us, in whatever little amounts!!!

Pranams to the Holy Feet of Baala Maami.
Radhe Krishna!
Jai Sadguru Ramana.

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Balam mami is my Aththai.I was thrilled to read the write up about her. I have pictures of her and Radhey Krishna.How to mail the same to you? Let me have your email id.

12:39 AM  
Blogger raghav said...

What can I call this except Grace!!! Am humbled and feeling blessed. Thank you. Here is my e-mail ID: n.raghavendran AT gmail.com. Will look forward to your e-mail.
RadheKrishna!
Om Ramana.

12:44 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

SENT YOU THE PHOTOS.
VAIDHYA

3:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home